News & Events
Professors recognized for Achievement and Excellence
- Three chemistry professors will receive awards from the College of Arts and Sciences. The recipients will be recognized at the first annual CAS awards ceremony, April 23rd (more)
Cougars Released into the Wild
- May 24 2012 The Department proudly presents the class of 2012 (more)
Four students win for outstanding seminars
- May 4 2012 Four students were recognized for outstanding seminars at the final Physical Chemistry seminar. Prof. Glenn Crosby was on hand to present the prizes named for himself and for Prof. Harold Dodgen... (more)
DOE grants almost $2 million to WSU radiochemistry
- May 11 2012. The Department of Energy awarded almost $2 million to Ken Nash and Nathalie Wall to support research into nuclear waste. The grants will be used for scholarships and infrastructure renewal. Prof Nash adds more in an interview with KNDO (Yakima, Wash) WSU News...
Chemistry places four in 2012 College Awards
- April 19 2012. The College of Sciences announced the winners of the 2012 awards. Nikki Clark, manager of the General Chemistry program, is the outstanding staff member of the year. In addition Prof. Nathalie Wall won the Early Career Faculty Award while Prof. Ursula Mazur was named the Westinghouse Distinguished Professor in Materials Science and Engineering. (more)
WSU Chemistry professor recognized by ACS for leadership
- Feb 24 2012. The American Chemical Society awarded the 2012 Garvan-Olin medal to Regents Prof. Sue B Clark. The Garvan-Olin medal is awarded annually to one person "to recognize distinguished service to chemistry by women chemists" (WSU News)
Aurora Clark featured on WSU Today
- Feb 14 2012. Prof. Aurora Clark's application of Google's search algorithms to molecular modeling is featured by WSU News. This project is funded by the US Department of Energy and published in the Journal of Computational Chemistry (WSU News)
Kirk Peterson named Fellow of the AAAS
- Dec 5 2011. Prof. Kirk Peterson was named a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Fellows are named for their efforts to advance science or its application. Prof. Peterson was noted for his development of basis sets covering the periodic table and reliable property predictions (WSU News)
4th Annual Matteson Symposium
- The fourth annual Matteson Symposium was held on September 17th on the campus of Washington State University. This year's theme was Chemistry and its Application to Biological Systems and featured lectures by John Vederas, Laura Kiessling, Ronald Raines, Wendy Kelly, and Michael Marletta. (more)
Student Awards Announced
- A 2011 U.S. Department of Energy Innovations in Fuel Cycle Research Award has been granted to graduate student Derek Brigham (Nash group). Mr. Brigham's $1500 award was for his paper titled "Extraction of Trivalent Lanthanides and Americium by Tri-n-octylphosphine Oxide from Ammonium Thiocyanate Media". Congratulations!
Announcement of 2011 ACS Fellows
- The new list of 2011 ACS Fellows includes 2 more WSU Chemistry faculty: Profs. Herb Hill and Ursula Mazur. Congrats!
- Note that in just the first 3 rounds of this award, WSU Chemistry now has 6 ACS Fellows! (Emeritus Prof. Glenn Crosby ('09) and Profs. Sue Clark ('10), Herb Hill ('11), KW Hipps ('10), Ursula Mazur ('11), and Ken Nash ('10)).
Crosby, Dodgen Award Winners Announced
- The Crosby and Dodgen winners were announced at the final Physical Chemistry seminar of the 2011 school year. The awards are given for the best seminar of the year. The winners are...(full article with photos)
Peterson, Wherland and Friesen Honored
- The Chemistry Department won multiple honors at the annual College of Sciences awards night, continuing a long string of success. (more)
Undergrad researcher achieves honor
- WSU Today linked to this article. Featured is Sam Lomasney, an undergrad in Nathalie Wall's lab.
Five in Chemistry promoted; Clark and Hill named Regents Professors
- Aurora Clark - Associate Professor
- Sue Clark - Regents Professor
- Herb Hill - Regents Professor
- Louis Scudiero - Clinical Associate Professor
- Ming Xian - Associate Professor
Read the full article at WSUToday about Prof. Sue Clark and Prof. Herb Hill achieving the University's highest ranking.